I’m not really a baker (or a professional chef) but I love my cakes. One thing that discourages us from baking them is the demanding processes involved, not forgetting the numerous ingredients.
It got me thinking, what if there were simpler ways to bake the coveted delicacy? Talk of lesser cook time and minimal ingredients. We’d all do it, right?
Well, yours truly found some easy recipes worth the try. Here you go:
Who said you need an oven? Make this cake with a microwave, using Disha Rathore’s recipe. It will take you 25 minutes and serves 4.
- 2 Cups Flour
- 2 tsp Baking powder
- 1/2 cup Butter
- 1/2 cup Sugar, powdered
- 1/2 cup Milk
- 2 tsp Vinegar
- 1 tsp Vanilla essence
- Mix the flour, baking powder, butter and sugar.
- Add the vanilla and mix.
- Add the milk followed by vinegar and beat the batter smooth.
- Transfer onto the baking pan.
- Bake at 100% for 2 minutes.
- Turn container round and bake another 2 minutes.
- Turn around again and bake for a minute.
- Let stand for 5 minutes then turn cake out of the tin.
Let that banana bread recipe which most foodies have been trying out this quarantine season rest. This flavourful cake recipe by Vandana Kaul serves 4 and takes a total cook time of 1 hr.
- 3 bananas
- 1/2 cup mixed fruit jam
- 3 eggs
- 1 1/2 wheat flour
- 1/2 olive oil
- 1 cup brown sugar
- 1 teaspoon vanilla essence
- 1 teaspoon baking soda
- Sieve the flour and baking soda together. Keep aside.
- Mash your bananas.
- Using a blender, mix brown sugar, olive oil and jam. Add mashed bananas.
- Pour in the eggs and vanilla essence then blend again for 4 seconds.
- Gradually mix the flour with the banana mixture. Mix till the batter is smooth.
- Grease the cake tin and dust it with a little flour.
- Pour the mixture in the tin and bake at 180 degree Celsius for 25-30 minutes in an oven.
Have you ever thought this is possible? Well, thanks to this recipe by NDTV Food, you can eat some cake without feeling guilty about the wheat. It has a total cook time of 50 minutes and serves 4.
- 4 eggs
- 100 grams chocolate
- Flaked almonds
- 100 grams sugar
- 75 grams butter
- Break the chocolate into small pieces and melt over hot water.
- In a bowl whisk butter and sugar together. As you whisk, add the 4 egg yolks, one at a time.
- In another bowl whisk 3 egg whites until frothy.
- Let the heated chocolate cool down and pour it into the butter and egg mixture.
- Then add the egg white mixture and stir thoroughly.
- Pour the chocolate mixture in a floured and buttered oven tray & garnish with flaky almonds.
- Set the oven at 175 degrees and bake for about 10 minutes.
- Serve the chocolate cake with vanilla ice cream.
This is a scrumptious classic favourite. NDTV Food makes it simpler for us with this recipe having a total cook time of 55 minutes.
- 150 grams flour
- 150 grams butter
- 150 grams castor sugar
- 3 eggs
- 1 tbsp. cocoa
- 1 1/2 tsp baking powder
- 1/2 tsp vanilla essence
- Beat butter and sugar together until light and fluffy.
- Gradually beat in eggs. Fold in all the flour except 1 Tbsp.
- Divide batter in half.
- Fold 1 tbsp. flour in 1 half and the cocoa in the other. Place in alternate spoonful in a greased and lined 8″ cake tin.
- Bake at 180 degrees centigrade for 20-25 minutes. Turn out and cool.
So there you have it, for more recipes check here.
All photos courtesy of NDTV Food.